Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Sixteen is Sweet

Hey Ebeth,

         Sixteen. It feels so grown up, right??? You're driving! Congrats on your perfect drivers test, I know you were proud about that. Yep, I was there and now I am here (fourteen years later) and I'm gonna give you a little advice.

         First, you're doing awesome! Truly! You are walking with Jesus and staying true to his path. That's not always easy for a high school girl, but you're doing it! I'm proud of you for choosing your friends wisely; friends who will lead you down the straight and narrow instead of the wide and twisty roads. You make good choices and walk with integrity and that is something you will never regret.

      As proud as I am of you for your awesome choices, there are some things to think about. First, remember not to judge too much. It's high school, girly, nobody has it figured out. Now is a great time to get off your high horse and reach out to others with open arms. Second, open yourself up and stop worrying so much about what others think about you. I promise they aren't thinking about you as nearly as much as you think they are. Relax and just have fun! Someday you'll reget that you missed out on so much because you were so worried about looking stupid. Let it go! Lastly, be careful with your words. They are a double edged sword and once there out, there is no taking it back. Think before you speak - always.

       So, you know that guy you're on the fence about? The one you're not really sure you like? Yea, him. I'll let you in on a little secret..... he's the one. Yep! I know you're not sure what to think about that, but it's true. He has far more to offer than what you give him credit for and it may take some time for you to realize that. Sure, you need to test the waters and you want to see if anybody else bites, but he's it and he'll wait for you to figure it out. Infact, he is one of God's greatest gifts to you. He is the one who will understand you better than anybody else and see the worst in you, but still want to be with you. He's pretty awesome and in about a year, he'll grow some muscles ;) Yep, you'll see the light, but until then be kind to him (otherwise he'll hold it over your head).

        Elizabeth, something is going to happen in two days that is going to scare you. The world is about to change and you will wonder what the future will hold. This day will be marked in history as 9/11 and the ripples from that day will continue until my time. Be strong, be brave, and don't worry. Remember that God is still in control. None of it will make sense and it never will. The world will continue to change and you will continue to have moments when you are scared, but you will also continue to grow in your trust of a Savior who has got your back. Always.

         Alright, before I go I want you to go look in the mirror. Yep, go do it! Look in the mirror and tell yourself you're beautiful. I know you don't believe me, but it's true. Stop wishing away so many of your beautiful and unique characteristics. Your nose is just fine, I promise. In fact, your babies will have your nose and you wouldn't want it any other way. No, you're not fat. Yes, you are smart. You're creative, kind, loving, loyal, sincere, and unique. I'm proud of you!

Yours truly and forever,
Ebeth

1 comment:

  1. This letter is GOLD! I love it. So glad to be your friend at 16 and almost 30!!! :)
    P.S. I really could have afforded to judge less too and get off my high horse in high school too. lol. We thought we were so holy. lol

    ReplyDelete