Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Herbie Boy

Our dog, Herbie, had to be put down yesterday. This is the second dog in the last nine months that we have had to put down.... really stinks. I loved Herbie, he was such a good puppy.

We had adopted Herbie from the SPCA, which you may remember from an older post. A couple weeks after we got him, we got a phone call from the shelter saying that his litter mate had distemper. We took him into the vet to get him checked out, but the vet was doubtful that he actually had it. So, Andy and I left the vet optimistic that he just had a really bad kennel cough.

Well, Saturday poor Herbie started having seizures and they progressively got worse. Once dogs with distemper start having seizures their chances of surviving are very slim. By Monday morning, his seizures were horrible and literally tossing his body around. I am not sure that he was even mentally there anymore....I couldn't even get him to look at me. So the decision was made that it was time to end his suffering. Andy had to go to work so it was up to me to take him in (again... I had to take our last dog in to be put to sleep too). As I carried him out to the car, I just lost it. This poor little puppy so did not deserve this.

At the vet they asked me if I wanted to be in the room when they put him to sleep. I wasn't sure, but ultimately decided that I owed him that much. As he laid on the table, waiting for the vet to bring in the injection, he finally looked up at me.... it was like he was saying that it was ok and that he loved me. Trust me, I usually think people are being dramatic when they talk about their pets like this, but it really does happen....trust me.

I don't know if dogs go to heaven, but dogs like Herbie really make me hope that they do. I hope he is in heaven chasing deer, like he did in Montana. While he was with us, we tried to give him the best life possible.

I think if he could talk he would tell you that he had a happy life.

No comments:

Post a Comment