Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Tired of being an oyster, she decided to

try life as a Pearl for awhile.

(This is a picture of my friend Leslie)
I love this quote! I feel like I have lived much of my life as an oyster; feeling average and underrated. I was never outstanding at anything that I did and I often felt over looked and unappreciated by so many people. I think that as I have grown older, I have also grown to become more comfortable and confident in who I am. I don't value the opinions of others as much as I used to (I would be lying if I said they didn't matter at all though).

I think a large part of my growth towards becoming a pearl has a lot to do with my move to Houston. I no longer had to be 'Elizabeth Walcheck/Walters' that everybody knew and expected. Here, I am not Barry and Dana's daughter or the perfect little church goer. I am not expected to volunteer for every single church event or behave a certain way. I am not saying that those things are bad things, but there is a freedom in not having a past. I am now free to become who I really want without everybodies preconceived ideas of who I am. This is my opportunity for growth and a chance to make my own decisions! Don't get me wrong, I am so thankful for my life and who I have been, it has made me the person I am today!

I appreciate who I have been, love who I am now, and look forward to the person I am becoming.

No comments:

Post a Comment