Monday, September 12, 2011

Frugalicious

I don't know about you, but I tend to get bored with my house...... A LOT! I can't tell you how many times Andy has come home and found the furniture in new positions. There are so many things I would love to buy for my house, but being on a tight budget means that the wallet must remain tightly closed. When the nesting stage of my pregnancy came in full swing, I was desperate to make some changes in the house.The great thing about the changes I made is that they were really cheap (I'll explain with each picture)  I am going to apologize ahead of time for the poor quality of these pictures. It was late and I didn't care to make them pretty.

I have been wanting to put something on my ugly slidding glass door for awhile now. I am not a fan of the chunky white blinds that tend to get hung on sliding doors and there are already full curtains hanging near this door.... so how about a valance? It took FOREVER for me t find fabric that I liked! This fabric was ordered from JoAnns and was kind of expensive, but worth it when you really like it. My original plan was to put one of those curved shower curtain rods up (which I am still going to do), but TJ Maxx was all out and I was not about to pay full price. So, for now a cheap little rod from Target will work. This little valance really warmed up the dining area and makes it much more pleasant to look at (although it is hard to tell from this picture....and yes, Andy is sewing in this pic but I promised I wouldn't tell).


So, my kitchen lead into our tiny laundry room.. which leads to the garage. Nobody wants to look at your washer and dryer! I decided to use the rest of the fabric from the valance to create some curtains to block the view. Worked out really well and they keep a TON of heat out from the dryer and garage. So, for both the valance and curtains; I spent about $40... not too shabby.


In the hallway between the kid's rooms was this tiny little nook that needed something. We had all this extra wood from the dog house that we took apart in our backyard that needed to be used. Andy made this EXTREMELY simple shelf for me and I had some frames laying around that needed to bed displayed.... so there you have it! Cost a whole $4! I am going to have Andy build a bench underneath to store games and puzzles, but that is for a later date.


Nothing fancy here. My Mom had this bench down in the storage room and was kind enough to let me snag it and I have had the hook thingy forever.... put them together and suddenly my entry way looks much more friendly :) Ok, I have an idea and I need your opinion: I am thinking of painting that whole wall with chalk board paint.  Thoughts??


Let's just say TJ's clearance section makes me happy!


So, here is your challenge: Look around your house and see what you can rearrange, paint, build, etc.... It might change your world (or at least make your home a happier place)


No comments:

Post a Comment