Tuesday, September 9, 2014

NINE: Personality Types

Today's prompt: Let's talk personality types. Introverted? Extroverted? Unsure-troverted? If you know you Myers-Briggs type, share it! If not you can take this similar test and share your results.

     Interesting that this topic falls on a Tuesday because I feel my introvertedness pretty hard on these days. On Tuesdays and Thursdays, I work at our church for Mother's Day Out and I come home absolutely whooped. It takes me a good hour, alone in my room, before I feel half way recharged. I basically turn on the TV the second we walk in the door and beg my children to give me some time. 

       Introverted it is! I loooove solace and alone time! I certainly don't get it very often, now that I have two kids, but I crave it and cherish the moments I do get alone. I used to be crazy introverted! Like, it was really hard for me to have any type of conversation with anybody I didn't know and if you were a boy..... forget about it! It has taken years and years of forcing myself to talk to people to get where I am today. Moving to Houston was so good for me because if I was going to make friends, I was going to have to open my mouth and make conversation. 

        I am also a reflector and deep thinker. I like to savor and chew on thoughts and experiences. I am still processing through my Kenya trip that was two months ago. While many people just speak their thoughts, I like to hold onto mine. Well, that's not totally true; sometimes my mouth can run a little too free. My Mom could probably attest to both, I suppose.  I got in trouble a lot for arguing and being sassy, but I also remember her saying, "Elizabeth, I can see your thoughts running through your head". I'm learning the balance.

Anyway, here is my results from the test I took:


      I feel like it sums me up pretty well! I have certainly had people think that I was arrogant and unfriendly because of my personality. I remember this girl in college being shocked at how friendly I actually was, once she got to know me. Apparently, I never said "hi" to her whole she was in my class. Truth be told, I didn't know she was even in my class and besides, she never made any attempt to greet me (why am I the bad guy?) 

       Here is the truth: I don't want or need a ton of friends and the ones who make it through are usually very genuine, down to earth people. I love authenticity.   However, just because I am introverted does not mean that I always want to be a homebody. I sincerely enjoy getting together with people that I love. Friendship is such a God given gift! I need friendship. 

     I've made this revelation that some people are, what I like to call "friend collectors". You merely give them a half smile and your their new friend. You both like pink and BOOM you are best friend. Jog on the same street? BOOM! You like her shirt? BOOM! Your kid wiped a booger on her kid? Boom! Now hear me, I am not bashing it. Infact, I wish I could be more like that, but intimacy is HUGE to me. I want to talk about real life issues and struggles, about passions and desires, hopes and fears. If we can't take off our masks and be real, then it's probably not going to work out. It's truly beautiful when you find those type of friends. Trust me. 

         Alright, I think that's enough about my introvertedness. I have had my hour alone in my room and now it's time to join the real world. 

       

       
        

1 comment:

  1. This is funny, "you like pink, BOOM!!!" I feel like when you are 5 years old it's like this and then does it happen again in life for people?? Like when you have kids and they are 5 years old and they both like pink?! I took the test. My personality type is The Visionary!
    https://www.learnmyself.com/Personality-Report?u=sPIx3x3707313-3432356x5a401x3#tab-2

    ReplyDelete